CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Hear Me (Dark Erotica, #3) - Skye Warren This was a quick read, 100 pages or so. Despite its short length, the pace was kinda slow and I didn't feel the chemistry between the characters as much as books with similar story lines, like Comfort Food or Captive in the Dark. This book fell short of reaching either of those books' level.

The female character awakens in a stranger's house. She immediately feels at home, or at least safer than where she has been as she has just escaped from being held as a sex slave for reasons she can't remember, by people she does not know. She has blocked all memories of her past, including her name, to survive her time in captivity. She has also stopped speaking and refers to herself as 'she', even in her head. She has become the 'ultimate' sub and craves dominance from her new master. The story skips backwards and forwards slowly unravelling why and how she came to be held captive in the first place.

The ending left me... confused and unsatisfied? I got it, but I wasn't invested in her life enough to care whether she got a HEA. In fact I'm not really sure whether she did or not.

After reflecting on this story for a day or two I realised that I really struggled to understand the main character's mindset throughout this story. I don't understand her desire to be dominated so I didn't empathise with her at all. This isn't something that happened to her, it's something she sought out. My feelings for this one are quite conflicted.