CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Stockholm Syndrome (Stockholm Syndrome, #1) - Richard Rider Gosh I love discovering new books with original characters and concepts. The relationship dynamics between Pip and Lindsay is unlike anything I've ever read before. I'm not even sure how to classify what they are to each other. Their relationship blurred so many boundaries and definitions. At times Lindsay was a lover, a protector, a father figure to Pip but then he could totally switch roles and became an enemy, his nemesis, barely able to tolerate his presence.

I loved Pip and I hated him at the same time. I wanted to protect him one minute and then slap him the next. As much as Lindsay wanted to and did. I've never really been able to relate to or understand the BDSM literary genre. With its contracts and costumes it's always felt a little bit contrived to me. All a bit for show, for the performance, not really something the characters necessarily needed. That is until I read Pip and Lindsay's story. This is the first time I've understood why a dom or sub has an inherent need to be in a D/s relationship. I really felt both their inner desires to dominate and submit. They craved it. They didn't need to talk about it, analyse it, write it in a contract or classify what they were to each other. They just fell into their roles, filling an unspoken need, quite naturally.

The relationship is the main focus of the story, as there is often not a lot else happening. Surprisingly this doesn't become boring and I was just as interested in Pip and Lindsay's quiet life as I was when they were pulling off a high risk job or interacting with their friends or families. A very unique story.