CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

No Beginning, No End (Stockholm Syndrome, #3) - Richard Rider So instead of writing a review for this series (which was great by the way) I'm going to add some of my favourite lines from these books, which are all based around Valentine - one of the most interesting and original characters I've ever read. Valentine is needy, annoying, shameless and childish. He is also loyal, loving and vulnerable. Through Lindsay's eyes we fall in love with Valentine, with all of him, the good, the bad and everything in between.

He' funny looking, he's too pointy and he's got crooked teeth and a big broken nose and yesterday's smudged make-up clinging under his eyes like bruises, blending into the actual bruise that's purpling his cheekbone, but when he smiles like this...

Lindsay starts laughing, he can't help it. "What species are you?"
"Fairy. So I'm told."

He kisses like he does everything else - enthusiastically, no finesse, giggling a bit, fidgety.

"I love you." (Valentine)
"I know you do. You don't have to tell me sixty times a day." (Lindsay)

Because he makes me laugh.
Because, fuck knows why, he adores me.
Because he need someone to look after him and nobody else knows how. Because everything about us is wrong and I never want to be right. Because I wake up in the morning and see him sleeping next to me with his stupid dyed hair and his stupid painted nails and his stupid toy monkey and I remember I love him so much I don't know what to do.

He's pale as ever except on his flushed cheeks, his eyes are bright, his damp hair is sticking to his forehead in limp sweaty string. He should be repulsive but he's not, he looks beautiful because he looks happy.

For the millionth time since they met, Lindsay feels awful for being surprised that Valentine's not a total idiot.

"Why don't you have any shame?"
"Wasted it all on being a Hanson fan."

He's beautiful because he's not and he doesn't care.