CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare In my friend, I find a second self.

Overall a very satisfying end to a great series.

Clockwork Princess had a darker feel to it – more internal angst and suffering than I expected for Jem, Will and Tessa. It wasn’t until the very end when I could breathe a sigh of relief for everyone that I realised how anxious I’d been for how things were going to end. I wasn’t particularly blown away or shocked by the ending, not that I predicted what was going to happen. I felt mostly relieved for everyone, as they all endured a lot to gain any and all of their happiness in the end.

Will’s silent suffering was the most heartbreaking for me. Will hid behind his cocky mask of indifference towards everyone he loved for so long, only to have to continue to suffer in silence when he finally expressed his true feelings for Tessa. I felt more for Will than any of the other characters and really missed his snarkiness and humour.

Somehow this love triangle never felt like a betrayal to anyone involved. Friendship and love were so intertwined in each relationship that there was never going to be a winner or loser. Any hurt caused was never intentional, everyone acted in the other’s best interests, putting each other first. Which was noble and lovely, but sometimes I did wish for a selfish outburst or declaration from someone.

I always felt Will and Tessa had the strongest connection romantically (which was why I was a little surprised that Tessa never acknowledged this – it wouldn’t have been a betrayal IMO). Jem and Will’s friendship was the standout for me though. Their connection was the strongest of all and I never doubted it or queried it like I did with Tessa’s feelings for the boys.

I wish I had re-read both series before Clockwork Princess as it had been a long time between books and I know I missed a few vital clues here and there. Also I think this book would have impacted me more if I’d read all three books back to back.