CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Bareback - Chris Owen Ignoring the abundance of sex in this book (I skimmed, what?) and that it was a little too long, this was a really good story.

It was often hard to read, had a few heart thumping moments and deals with cheating in a long term relationship, but it was the most realistic portrayal of a break up and eventually a second chance that I have ever read. Jake reacted EXACTLY how I imagine I would in that situation. That is why this worked for me. I experienced his pain, his devastation, his numbness, the utter sense of betrayal he felt as if it was happening to me. I got to live vicariously through what would be one of the toughest experiences of anyone's lives. It wasn't pleasant but I just got swept away with how honest and genuine Jake and Tor's breakdown was. And I can honestly say I completely forgave Tor and saw a side to cheating that I didn't expect to relate to or understand. Not sure if I'll read the sequel as this felt like it ended their story perfectly.

"Why are you still here?" He sounded confused, even to his own ears, but as soon as he said it he wanted to know. If it was just the job that was fine, but they were both falling apart - Tor looked even worse than he did some mornings... Before he could even push back his chair Tor said, "Because you're here."

He wanted Tor to do something that would either fix them or make him hate the man. The nothingness was going to drive him mad.

When Tor didn't say anything Jake turned his head to look at him and said, "Well?"
Tor took a breath, then looked back. "I'm sorry Jake", he said quietly.
"I know." And he did know, knew it from the way Tor looked as bad as he did, he knew it from the way Tor's eyes were always sad and self-loathing. He'd never doubted that Tor was sorry - sorry he'd been caught, and even sorry he'd done it in the first place.

"Want to fix it," Tor said, his voice rough. "I want to fix us. I can't - I can't keep going like this. Looking at you, watching you. Know I did it to you, Jake, but I want to make it better."