CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys What a gem of a book. So beautifully written, not one wasted word.

When the boundaries between fiction and non-fiction blur, a story has an even greater emotional impact. Between Shades of Gray transports us to a time and place that we may not know much about but one that we can't ignore. It reminds us that humans can be both devastatingly cruel and unselfishly kind.

I thought this quote below was just beautiful and showed the devotion that Lina's mother had for her husband as well as her kind heartedness.

"Sometimes kindness can be delivered in a clumsy way. But it's far more sincere in its clumsiness than those distinguished men you read about in books. Your father was very clumsy...he was so clumsy, but he was so sincere. Sometimes there is such beauty in awkwardness. There's love and emotion trying to express itself, but at the time, it just ends up being awkward."