CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Tales from Foster High (Tales from Foster High, #1-3) - John  Goode High school coming-out story full of witty dialogue and likeable characters. Opposites attract when popular jock and baseball-hero, Brad, lays eyes on Kyle, a socially inept and self-proclaimed nerd.

Kyle is a loner who wants to stay that way. His objective is to get through high school as quickly as possible and to remain unnoticeable to all other students. Against his will and expectations, he is drawn into Brad's world of cliques, sports and having to actually talk to people. Kyle is the perfect combination of clumsy, cute, brave and intelligent.

"I was realising I was really bad at this whole social interaction thing".

Brad and Kyle really complement each other, both stepping up for the other when needed. Kyle may be a geek but he's certainly not weak and Brad may fit the stereotypical jock mould, but he needs Kyle's inner strength more than he realises.

There was so much homophobia portrayed in this small town of Foster. I really hope there are not such small-minded people out there in the real world, but that's probably a naive expectation. Some of the kids and adults in this town and school were just horrible. You can't help but hope they get what's coming to them. Fortunately we get to experience these events with Kyle's sarcastic wit, which softens some of the blows.

We sat on the steps of the music room in silence as people walked by, staring at us like we were rare animals on display. "And if you look to your right you will see a mated pair of North American homosexuals. Please don't get too close, they spit."

I preferred Kyle's POV to Brad's, simply because I found him funnier.

"I was pretty sure he wasn't standing there, one leg on the bench, as wind blew through his hair and an 80's rock anthem played softly in the background, but that was how I saw him".

"I was flabbergasted. Never really understood that word before now, but suddenly, it was making all the sense in the world. My flabber was more than gasted".

This author has a very refreshing voice. I would highly recommend this book and I'll be reading on in the series.