CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Tangled - Emma Chase Minor spoilers below (mainly in the form of characters’ personality traits):

“That is the most sexist comment I’ve ever heard. You’re disgusting”.

Thank you Kate, you’ve nailed it in one.

I’ll be including a few quotes in this review as I don’t think I can convey Drew’s true shallowness without them.

Meet Drew:

"At this juncture in my life, my idea of getting to know a woman consists of finding out if she likes it slow and sweet or hard and dirty – top, bottom or from behind."

"First of all, if a chick wants me to respect her, she needs to act like someone worth respecting. Second, I’m not trying to be a dick; I’m just being a guy." Thank God that’s not true, or I would be really worried for mankind. Be warned, this type of slut-shaming does appear often in the book.

Probably goes without saying that Drew’s character didn’t appeal to me at all. I don’t mind a guy who skirts the line with his cockiness and arrogance. A confident man is sexy. However this guy doesn’t balance out his arrogant personality with a charming or appealing side, he was just all cocky bravado. Lacking the substance and depth that I believe a real man should have. Drew’s a guy we all know or have encountered but not one you’d settle for. Kate, you could do better.

"So, if you think I’m arrogant? Selfish? Spoiled? You’re probably right. But don’t hold it against me. It’s not my fault. I am a product of how I was raised." Way to take responsibility Drew.

On that note, Kate is a cheater! There’s no if or buts about it. She cheated. On her fiancé. Twice. That’s not cool however you look at it. And don’t paint him to be a loser as if that makes it excusable cos it doesn’t. To me it showed she had a weak personality, she was easily tempted and lacked commitment. You want out of a relationship, you get out. You don’t cheat.

Writing-wise, Drew tends to go off on tangents. It was like he had narrative ADHD. He couldn’t stick to one story without being reminded of something that happened to him as a kid, or something his mum once told him, or some other random tid bit of information that he needs to provide. I didn’t enjoy this story telling style, once or twice is fine but this happened throughout the whole story. I lost the momentum of the real story with all the interruptions.

I’ve read enough male pov’s in m/m so my expectations for the male voice are probably a bit higher than the average. Drew’s voice bordered on being OTT a lot of the time for me.

I found the story to be quite camp at times, bordering on ridiculous. The 4.30am stand-off at work: are these guys supposed to be professionals in their field? That whole story line just seemed juvenile to me.

There were a few obligatory bad boy stereotypes I couldn’t help but notice – Drew doesn’t let his random hook ups sleep in his bed or even come back to his apartment. Except with Kate, that is. Puhlease.

“I’ve never brought a woman to my bedroom before. It’s a rule. No random hook-ups in my apartment – never even considered it. If one of these girls actually knew where I lived? Can you say Stalker Psycho anyone?” Real nice Drew.

And no cuddles for Drew after sex, he’s never done that either (except of course with Kate). His usual style is to kick the girl out of bed. Literally.

“I’m not one to reminisce about the randoms I meet during my weekend adventures. Usually, they fade from my thoughts the moment I escape their bed.”

“Typically after a woman and I are done, there is no spooning, no snuggling, no frigging pillow talk. I might, on occasion, have a nap before I head out the door. But I can’t stand it when a girl braids herself around me like some mutant octopus. It’s annoying and uncomfortable.”

Portraying a guy to be a complete asshole to all women so that in contrast, with his one true love he is all romance and rainbows, doesn’t work for me. An asshole is an asshole is an asshole.

If this was written by a man I reckon a lot of readers would be up in arms over the chauvinism. But for some reason, these types of stories (with these types of main characters) are really popular with women. Go figure.

This will be a fun, easy read for most (as is obvious with its rating). Granted, parts of the story did appeal to me. But overall, it's not a stand out.