CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Bully (Fall Away, #1) - Penelope Douglas 3.5 stars

A modern day re-tell of Grease, perhaps? Imagine that Danny had taken his silent treatment towards Sandy and times it by a thousand, turned the whole school against her and carried on like this for years, with some car racing in between.

This was an entertaining story for the most part, with a decent amount of chemistry between the main characters, Tate and Jared. The sex scenes were slightly more explicit than I expected for a high school setting (not really a complaint, though). There were a few mandatory plot points that were overly convenient for the story (both Tate and Jared live alone at 17) and I felt like I'd read a couple of scenes in other books (I had a few flashbacks to the car racing scenes in The Secret of Ella & Micha).

I wish I was more satisfied with the ending. I'm just not convinced that Jared's treatment of Tate over the years was forgiveable. I thought his reasons for bullying Tate could've explained away maybe a month's worth of bad behaviour. But years? That wasn't OK. Let's just say Tate is a much more forgiving person than I could have been.

On another note, I would have liked to hear more about Tate's year in France. Being a former exchange student myself, I know that a year overseas is a very defining life experience for a teenager. There wasn't much reflection on this. Or she had the most boring year ever, but I doubt that.