CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Broken Fairytales  - Monica Alexander My feelings for Emily grew as she started to smoke. Don't know what that says about me or what message the author intended. Cool people smoke? Maybe. I also started craving clove cigarettes. Hhmm, who said reading is good for you. Anyway I really ended up liking Emily. She needed an attitude adjustment and she got one, even if it came with a side of future lung cancer :)

As for Zack, well he had me at Yellow Leadbetter. In my head, he was suddenly a young Eddie Vedder and I could definitely cope with that. He reminded me a little of Dex from EIT (hot music guy, bipolar personality, keeps his cards close to his chest).

But my favourite character was definitely Chase. He might be my new favourite male who actually isn't a main character. I loved that this book had really strong background characters. Their stories were just as good as Emily and Zack's. I'm currently reading the sequel to this book and that aspect of the story continues.

I really loved and related to the themes in this book - being in the wrong relationship because it's easy and comfortable, siblings growing apart and then rediscovering their friendship in adulthood, losing loved ones and summer romance. All of these made for a rich story that I enjoyed and am continuing to enjoy in Buried Castles.