CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Saving Grace (Mad World, #2) - Christine Zolendz OK, so I'm right on the fence with this book. I want to love it (but I didn't) and I really don't want to hate it (but there were parts I did). It lacked some of the substance that the first book had, but on a positive note, it maintained the momentum the first book had which meant I couldn't put it down until I'd finished.

I have to admit I didn't understand what was going on most of the time with the paranormal storyline, which I'll say again wasn't my favourite aspect of the books. Unless the paranormal world building is going to be really well-developed and original (EIT, Downside Ghosts, Kate Daniels, Angelfell etc) it's just distracting and unnecessary. I kept expecting some really big reveal that was going to explain what the hell was going on but it never came and the final show down came and went without delivering the explanation I needed. Also angels just don't do it for me. Too biblical.

The repeated, will they-won't they scenes and interruptions between Grace and Shane were overkill and I felt those scenes took up too much of the story. I would have liked more of their back story or just something else going on in their lives. Grace seemed to spend too much time pining over and fantasising about Shane to the point I didn't like her as much. She really did turn into one of THOSE girls - boring and repetitive. I got that he was panty-dropping gorgeous the first 500 times she told us. There had to be more to him than that. And I know there is more to him, I just didn't need to be reminded so often of what he looked like.

I enjoyed Grace and Lea's dialogue most of the time, but it too became repetitive and a bit vulgar. Lea became an annoying character which was a shame because I wanted to like her. I felt she was trying to be too funny most of the time with all the sex jokes. Girls don't really talk like that. Her constant sexual comments reminded me of another recent book (the sex and chocolate one).

Enough bagging. I still really liked this series but this book won't stand out to me as much as the first one did.