CrystalMariestyle=

there's more to life than reading books

Suicide Watch - Kelley York A book that makes me wish I had the skills to express my feelings in a more eloquent way, instead of just gushing gibberish.

The themes in Suicide Watch (quite obviously) are heavy and depressing but thankfully dealt with in a realistic and respectful way. I only say this because it concerns me when the topic of suicide is so easily introduced and brushed over in a book, included for the shock value rather than as a very real and tragic issue.

Throughout the story I was affected by Vince's very honest and frank thoughts. I felt they were genuine and insightful for a kid who has been through what he has, without manipulating me into feeling sorry for him.

I tried explaining to Maggie once that either I feel nothing at all, or everything at once. There is no happy medium with me, and it makes everything so hard.

York gives an accurate portrayal of teenage loneliness, feelings of worthlessness and mental health issues. Vince, Casper and Adam have found each other at an integral time for each of them. By connecting with each other, the three friends bring a different perspective, and ultimately hope, into each other's lives.

Underneath all this hurt and pain and sadness is a beautiful and subtle love story. So even though Suicide Watch broke my heart it went a long way to mending it.

I think it might be the first time he's ever directly spoken my name to me. For some reason, it makes heat rush to my face. Would he find it weird if I asked him to say it again?

It confounds me that this has only 233 ratings at the time of my review. It really deserves more attention.